Saturday, March 10, 2012

Psalms 37

The last few weeks I have not been very faithful in reading God's Word. I have still been reading devotions...there are always a few scriptures there...and listening to music...they sing about the Lord...but it's not the same as actually picking up your Bible and spending time with Him. The Lord speaks to us when we are having quality time with Him on a regular basis. I absolutely love it when He speaks to me. There is nothing like hearing Him...that voice inside my soul...in the early morning hours. Or, when I sit at my computer in the evening and He fills my mind with words to write! He fills me with joy...hope...faith to believe...love...and everything else that is good that He gives to His children.

Today the barrier...walls I'm sure I erect myself...was broken. I sat down at my desk and picked up His Word. Truthfully I picked up my Jesus Calling devotional first. I read today's devotion and then looked at the scripture...Psalms 37:23-24. I read those verses and then I read the whole chapter. I've read it many times but today certain ones jumped off the page at me...

37 vs 4-7a
Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you your heart’s desires. Commit everything you do to the LORD. Trust him, and he will help you. He will make your innocence radiate like the dawn, and the justice of your cause will shine like the noonday sun. Be still in the presence of the LORD, and wait patiently for him to act.

37 vs 23-24
The LORD directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the LORD holds them by the hand.

My Bible says that to take delight in someone means to experience great pleasure and joy when in their presence. Who in our lives should we take delight in most? The Lord. To do this we really have to know Him. Spend quality time with Him. Not just a minute here and there. We don't have to just sit and read His word and pray for hours...but some time each day should be set aside for this. We have to commit everything to Him and trust Him with everything in our lives. If we are spending the time we need to be with Him...that will come easier for us. So, regardless of circumstances in my life, I have made a new commitment to do this. I want to know Him more everyday!

There is another verse I love...Psalms 46:10 Be still and know that I am GOD. I thought of that when I read vs 7a. Sometimes we just need to sit and be still in HIS presence. He will meet us there if we do that. Another verse that comes to mind is...Psalms 62:5 Let all that I am wait quietly before God, for my hope is in him. These are just all great verses that I need to think about daily! Reminders for me to just sit quietly before Him at some point in my day. They remind me of what He told me the first part of the year...Press In to HIM!

Hosea 6:3 Let us acknowledge the LORD; let us press on to acknowledge him. As surely as the sun rises he will appear; he will come to us like the winter rains, like the spring rains that water the earth.

Do you want the Lord to direct your steps? I know I do. I will be starting on a new venture and there is nothing I want more than to make sure that the Lord is leading me and that I am following. I want to be in the center of His will for this. I need His direction more than ever before...in every step I take! I want and need Him to direct my way. Without a doubt I'm sure that I will make mistakes...stumble as the verse says...but, if I put my hand in His it will all be okay. He won't let me fall...fail...as long as I'm in His will and doing it for Him. It's when I don't put my trust in Him that I have doubt...and fear the unknown.That's when I find myself putting up those walls I talked of earlier. As long as I do what the Lord has shown me in His word this morning...it will all be good. He will never leave me or forsake me.

Deuteronomy 31:6
Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the Lord your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.






6 comments:

Desiray said...

I am so happy to hear you say you are being faithful and it will pay off my dear God is always looking for a willing vessel to pour into

Aritha V. said...

Read God's Word is so important and inspiring. Thank you that you remind me!

Jen said...

I struggle with being consistent in daily reading or even a devotional. I always say "I don't have time." Just here recently, I decided that would MAKE TIME. It's the most important part of my day and everything seems to go much smoother when I make time for Him. Great post!

Marja Verschoor-Meijers said...

Great post, thanks for sharing and being honest!

Unknown said...

It is amazing how easily I can skip time with God even though I know the difference that daily time makes in my life. I have to fight for it because time with Him is life-giving, joy-sustaining, faith-infusing time.

Kristin Bridgman said...

I too had gotten into a habit for a short period of time of just picking up my devotionals, I have 6 of them I read every day. But it is not a replacement for His Word! I got that.

I can't wait to hear all about the new venture! :)