Sunday, August 16, 2009

MATTHEW 5:48

Lately I have been trying to figure out what God's purpose is for me. It's really easy to know if I just think about everything that has been happening lately. First He changed what I am to write about in this blog. Then the things I've been reading in the Bible, and other books, all have to do with what it is. God's purpose is to shape me, and everyone else, into His image. I just have to be willing to let Him do that. There is a verse in the Bible that I really didn't know what it meant until this weekend.

Matthew 5:48 (New Living Translation)
But you are to be perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect.

I always thought perfect meant; without defect or blemish. Then there's my definition...stop being a screw up. Get it right and stop failing. Conquer the things that you consistently fail at. Those types of definitions. Really I knew that I could never be perfect but I could certainly give it a shot. Then I read the true meaning of this verse. I looked it up in a few places so I could be sure that what I was reading was right.

Matthew 5:48 (Amplified Bible)
You, therefore, must be perfect [growing into complete maturity of godliness in mind and character, having reached the proper height of virtue and integrity], as your heavenly Father is perfect.

The Greek meaning of the word "perfect" is...mature and finished.

Even though becoming "mature and finished" is a slow process, it is certainly more attainable than "being without defect". To achieve the kind of perfection talked about in Matthew 5:48 all you have to do is surrender your whole life...will, being, mind, heart...to the Lord. To be honest, that isn't always so easy either. I can be pretty stubborn about things. But, if I will do that kind of surrendering Jesus will change me.

This past week I had an opportunity to "sign up" for a lesson in change, or maturity, which is what this blog is really all about. I was asked to do something this weekend that I really didn't want to do. But, I agreed to do it. I'll be honest, I complained a few times about it. I was going to have to put aside my own wants and do something to help someone else. Normally that's not a problem for me, this time it was. Knowing that I had the completely wrong attitude, I asked the Lord to help me to feel differently about it. It was amazing. I actually had a good time doing it. And, for the first time in my life, I was actually able to "talk" to about 15 people without shaking and losing my thoughts.

I still have a long ways to go on this "road to maturity" but it's just one step at a time. God is amazing. He will help you if you ask Him and your serious about

No comments: