Monday, October 17, 2011

Watch What You Say

Today I got one of my bibles out that I haven't used in a while. I opened it up and started reading in the book of Psalm.

Psalm 19:14

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
         Be acceptable in Your sight,
         O LORD, my strength and my Redeemer.

For the last couple of weeks I have been being reminded how important it is that I watch what I say. A lot of the devotions I have read recently are about complaining and talking negatively. When I read this verse today God reminded me that it is so important to not have a negative or complaining attitude. If Jesus were in the room with us would we change the way we were talking? We need to ask the Lord everyday to help us with how we think so that our words are guided by Him.

Something that I try to pray everyday is this...

Father God help me to be more like You today. Help me to see with Your eyes, to think Your thoughts, to say Your words so that people I am with will somehow see You.

Sometimes, that's not exactly how it all works out. So...for that reason this will be my "memory" verse for the week.

11 comments:

Desiray said...

amen Chelle love it we do have to watch what we say, throughout my day i have to watch what I say, and it's not in a bad way what I am saying, it could be in a good way, where I know I might be right but the Lord will nudge me and say don't say a word..I may not know what He is doing at that time but later on I see it and I am so glad that the spirit does talk to me and thank God I listen sometimes...amen

Unknown said...

Great prayer, Chelle! I want to shine for Jesus everyday too. Many blessings!

Heart n Soul said...

Oh, this is good. Love it :)

Never Forsaken said...

That's a good prayer Chelle,
I remember a few years back when scriptures from the book of James kept re-surfacing in my life..specifically, all the warnings about the power of our words. It is still a hard lesson to learn, but we keep ourselves out of trouble when we use caution with what we say. Good post :)
~Blessings~

Ken said...

Hi Chelle,
Great post. We can do a lot of harm with our tongue, and yes I think we would change the way we talk if Jesus was standing in the room. Why us it, we all know He is listening to what we say, yet we do not change the way we speak?
God bless,
Ken

Aritha V. said...

'If Jesus were in the room with us would we change the way we were talking?'

This words reading in the early morning can changes my day today. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chelle - its frightening how often I realise that my speech is negative. Great encouragement and reminder to think before I speak, so my words bring Him glory.
Great post Chelle
God bless
Tracy

Denise said...

These very thoughts have been on my mind a lot lately; there is no time for complaining when we should be rejoicing and giving words of encouragement and praise. :)

Blessings Chelle! :)
Denise

Kandi said...

Amen Chelle!

Our words have the power to lift someone up or tear them down, sometimes things come out of my mouth that I am not always proud of. I love your prayer at the end, praying that He help you become more like Him. I want people to see Jesus in me when I speak to them. Lovely encouragement Chelle, and blessings to you.

Reformed rebel said...

Hi Desiray ~ always good to hear what you have to say. God bless you.

Hi Lisa ~ Thank you for always encouraging me. Blessings today.

Hi Heart and Soul ~ Thanks for stopping by. Blessings to you.

Hi Lisa ~ Yes, using caution is so important. Thank you. God Bless you.

Hi Ken ~ You always have good things to say. I'm trying to be more aware that He is always listening! God bless.

Hi Tracy ~ I have always been called a glass 1/2 empty type person. Boy! am I trying to change that!! God bless you.

Hi Denise ~ Rejoicing and giving words of encouragement and praise...That's great! God bless you always.

Hi Kandi ~ Like you I'm not always proud of what I say. Thanks for coming by and encouraging me.

God bless all of you...Chelle

Reformed rebel said...

Hi Jedidja ~ It is always a blessing to me when you stop by and talk to me. Thank you and God bless you.
Chelle