Thursday, October 27, 2011

Slip Slidin' Away

Remember the old Paul Simon song, Slip Slidin' Away? The chorus goes like this...

Slip slidin' away, slip slidin' away
You know the nearer your destination, the more you slip slidin' away.

I was just sitting and thinking about my week and those words just came to mind.
Kind of funny really because I was never a Paul Simon fan. I didn't even know it was his song.
So...I Googled the words slip slidin' away and there it was. I am a fan of Google!

So, I was thinking how sometimes I just feel like that. Like I'm slippin' and slidin' away from everything,
and everyone, that I know is good for me. It's like my old self comes back and tries to take over.
Then my world starts spinnin' and before I know it I'm on that old slippery path and I'm...
Slip Slidin' Away right on down it! Yes, I've noticed little things popping up, here and there, the last couple weeks but didn't really think there was a problem. Then this morning I received a call...

My wake up call came in at about 11:30 last night. I was asleep but remember trying to fight my way out of it. When I finally did I was filled with unbelievable fear. It was so bad I could hardly breathe. Then all these thoughts started pouring into my head. Thoughts like...you are totally alone...everyone is gone...your friends are gone...your family is gone...you are alone. So I thought about it for a minute and the next thing that popped into my head was...do you hear how quiet it is? It's quiet because Jesus has come back and you were left here because He didn't really love you. You have been too bad! Your whole life time was a mess and nothing has really changed...you have not really changed! Well...fighting to wake up from a bad dream and then feeling nothing but total fear...I started to believe it! I turned on the stereo to find there was no dj on the Christian station. It was just taped segments. Wow...not good! Went to the computer and saw that there had been nothing changed on it since about 10 p.m. More bad news! Just as I really started to panic and wonder what I was going to do my thoughts changed. I said just a couple of words...help me! Then the new words in my head were...

Stop and think about this. Everything is okay. Just go back to bed and go to sleep. It's all okay. Your okay. It was like PEACE just sort of fell over me. All the fear was gone! I went to bed...turned off my light...and next thing I new the alarm was going off! 

I believe that was just the devil trying to shake me up...rock my boat a bit. For a few minutes I let him...I played right into his hand. Then I turned to the One that has my life in His hands and I called out to Him. That's when it all changed. Jesus took over and satan had to flee! All you really have to do is just...call on Him.

What I'm saying in all of this is you don't have to be afraid. God is always with you.

Joshua 1:9

This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

Deuteronomy 31:6

So be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid and do not panic before them. For the Lord your God will personally go ahead of you. He will neither fail you nor abandon you.”

Psalm 27:1

The Lord is my light and my salvation—
      so why should I be afraid?
   The Lord is my fortress, protecting me from danger,
      so why should I tremble?

7 comments:

Aritha V. said...

LORD, how are they increased that trouble me!
Many are they that rise up against me.
Many there be which say of my soul,
There is no help for him in God.

Dear Chelle, thought David when I reads your blog.
He said:

But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me;my glory, and the lifter up of mine head.
I cried unto the LORD with my voice,and He heard me out of his holy hill.

Big hug from your Dutch friend! I recognize meself in this blog.
xxx

Denise said...

I have discovered that the more I struggle, the more I become stronger spiritually! It takes lots of determiniation to continue to hang on and fully rely on God's grace and mercies, and praise Him for redeeming us. :)

Great poet Chelle!
Denise

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Chelle,

Last night and the day before yesterday, I kept going back to the story of how Jesus was tempted by the devil in the desert..I will quote some scriptures and my note that I wrote in my Bible about them here:


3And when the tempter came to him, he said, (If thou be the Son of God,) command that these stones be made bread.

4But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

5Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple,

6And saith unto him, (If thou be the Son of God,) cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.

7Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

*note: Notice how the devil will try to make us question our position as a Child of God? If he thought he could try it on Jesus himself, surely he will use this tactic on us as well!
~Rebuking Satan by the power of the Blood of Jesus Christ and the Name above all names "Jesus"~

Have a Blessed weekend Dear Child of God ! You are not alone Chelle, Jesus loves you and sticks closer than any brother! Amen

Never Forsaken said...

Sorry- 4got to put scripture referenced is Mathew 4:3-7

Kristin Bridgman said...

Don't you just hate that ol' devil!? And don't you just love the Lord evermore? All we have to do is call His name and the peace floods in...I've experienced this same thing. And I believe as one of the commenters said above, it just strengthens us. And when the devil tries again, we know exactly what to do. . .Jesus!
We are never alone...if you need to hear a real voice sometime, you can call me no matter what time :)

Desiray said...

Great post! sis thanks for sharing..It's those moments when the spirit speaks to us and we do our homework..God has a reason for everything in life we may not always know what it is but He does, we have to trust Him. Have a great day today

Anonymous said...

Hi Chelle - you had me in such suspense there. I was on the edge of my seat. Maybe you should be a suspense writer as a hobbie. Phew, anyway, seriously though, God is good when we finally call out to Him, Help, and... He does. God bless Chelle and I pray for you some awesome restful sleep and a peaceful weekend.
Tracy