Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Take A Timeout

There is a story in the bible that I can't seem to get out of my mind lately. It's the one where Jesus visits Martha and Mary...

Luke 10:38-42 (NLT)
As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord’s feet, listening to what he taught. But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, “Lord, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.”But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.”

Mary was devoting all of her attention to Jesus. Nothing was going to pull her away from worshiping Him. That's the one thing that Jesus wants most from us...our attention. Why is it we let other things distract us and keep us from sitting at Jesus' feet? Because most of us are like Martha. We see things that need to be done so we do them. We get distracted by things. Sometimes it's not things it's issues, or problems, in our lives. We all have them. What we need to learn to do is sit at Jesus' feet and talk to Him about them. He can take care of them much better than we can. He longs for our attention...praise...and worship!

So, today I encourage you to give yourself a timeout! Sit at Jesus' feet and worship Him...talk to Him...give Jesus all of your attention. He's waiting for your time.

Linking with Tracy today at her Winsome Wednesday Bloghop



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chelle - what great encouragement. I'm usually the Martha. I think being the Mary scares me a little. Odd hey! Great post. And thank you, my friend for linking up. I so appreciate it.
God bless
Tracy

Stacy @ Heartprints of God said...

Chelle,
Don't you just love how Jesus responded to Mary by saying this?!..."There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it." She had found the ONE THING.

Thank you for encouraging us to run to the ONE who matters most~

~Stacy

Heidi said...

Oh, I'm a Martha that's for sure, BUT my heart desires to be like Mary... to slow my world to a pace that allows me to focus on the "One Thing" that's important. Thanks for this reminder :)

Joan Hall said...

Hi Chelle:

I'm visiting from Tracy's.

I am so much a Martha...worrying about the preperations and the serving, but when I don't take time to sit at His feet, my efforts in ministry are just that..."efforts".

Very encouraging post!

Blessings,
Joan

Aritha V. said...

Thanks! This posting touches me.

Desiray said...

I love that story to we all need to take a time out...we get so busy doing what we think is best when the best thing is being with what the Lord says..amen

And because you haven't been able to get this story out of your mind I know the Spirit placed it there for a reason..

child of God said...

I'm a Mary and although I am a worker and love to keep busy, I realize that everything works better if we put God first and worship Him. When Jesus becomes first and foremost in our lives then everything falls into place.

Blessings, :)
<><

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Chelle,

I used to be a Martha, but time has taught me to be a Mary and I have found a peace and joy in being, what a good friend calls, "readily available" to the Lord!
~Loving Peace and Blessings In Jesus~

Kristin Bridgman said...

It's so easy to get distracted! I used to be a Martha through and through but as I get older am learning to be more a Mary :)

Hope you're doing well, have a good rest of the week!