Thursday, February 24, 2011

Become Christlike

Sometimes I think about what it must have been like to be with Jesus everyday. Walk around with Him and see Him heal the sick...preach...cast out demons...raise the dead!! Can you imagine!! Then there were times when they just sat and listened while He taught them...probably at times just visited like we do with our family and friends...ate together. They just shared their life with Him. Think about it. What it would have been like? Then tonight I read something that made me think about God in the Old Testament. Can you imagine having God talk to you as He did Adam in the garden? Or being in God's presence as Moses was when the ten commandments were written down? He didn't actually sit down with God but he certainly knew he was in Gods presence. What about how it is today?

If you think about it, everyday we are in Gods presence. We can't see Him but we know He is there. Is that a good thing? If you were to think about God being with you all the time would you act the way you act...say the things you say...do the things you do...even go some of the places you go? If you are a Christian, He is right there with you in all you say and do! For me...when I stop and think about that now...I have to admit that He is probably disappointed many times. I was thinking how I have been lately and I have to say I am thankful that the Lord understands that we are human. He is the one who made us and He knows all about our shortcomings. However...we can't use being "human" as an excuse. As soon as we realize that we have acted in some way that we shouldn't have...said something wrong...had an attitude...whatever the case is...we need to ask for forgiveness immediately. Don't continue doing the things that "down deep" you know are wrong!

If you want your relationship to grow, and you want to mature as a Christian, do what you know is the right thing. Ask for forgiveness and work on changing the things in you that aren't Christ like. You can't do it on your own. You need to ask the Lord to help you to change and to grow in the ways He wants you to. Ask Him specifically what you need to change. If you are sincere about it He will let you know...sometimes in ways you least expect! Once the Lord brings your shortcomings out into the light...start dealing with them. I like this little saying...

For only if we let Him in, can He pull us out!

My main goal is to become more Christlike and to have a better relationship with Him. In order to be more Christlike I have to let Him renew my mind. I need to think about Him and give Him complete control of every part of me. One way to help do that is to keep Him in my thoughts at all times. Talk to Him...read and meditate on His word. Remember that I am not who I used to be.

Colossians 3:1-4 & 10

Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God’s right hand. Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth. For you died to this life, and your real life is hidden with Christ in God. And when Christ, who is your life, is revealed to the whole world, you will share in all his glory.

Put on your new nature, and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like him.

No comments: