Sunday, September 19, 2010

"Peace, be still!"

Mark 4:35-41

35 On the same day, when evening had come, He said to them, “Let us cross over to the other side.” 36 Now when they had left the multitude, they took Him along in the boat as He was. And other little boats were also with Him. 37 And a great windstorm arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that it was already filling. 38 But He was in the stern, asleep on a pillow. And they awoke Him and said to Him, “Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing?”
39 Then He arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Peace, be still!” And the wind ceased and there was a great calm. 40 But He said to them, “Why are you so fearful? How is it that you have no faith?” 41 And they feared exceedingly, and said to one another, “Who can this be, that even the wind and the sea obey Him!”

Could you imagine being out on the ocean in a small fishing boat when a big storm comes up as the disciples were? It's not some place that I would want to be. However, they did have an advantage because they had JESUS in their boat. What they didn't have was the faith it took to know that, whether JESUS was sleeping or awake, HE was still going to take care of them. I can so see myself in this story. When I saw JESUS words, "Peace, be still!" I instantly thought of how those words, so much, apply to me...

When I let fear and doubt take over in my life I'm lacking the same thing the disciples did...faith.We may not have JESUS "physically" riding in  our car, or sleeping at our house but...HE is still with us everywhere we go. I can just imagine that JESUS is saying the same things to me that HE said to HIS disciples that night. "Why are you so fearful? Where is your faith?" I always think that HE probably gets so frustrated and tired of me lacking in those areas that this could be the time HE will just leave me hanging out there alone. But...that's just not how HE is. Just like with HIS disciples, when I finally get it together and ask for HIS help HE calms my storm just like HE did theirs. HE calms...and then HE gives me peace!

When storms start beating me around and filling my life with fear and doubt I need to remember to ask JESUS to speak to it. When I do I know just what HE will say, "Peace, be still!"

Are you letting HIM speak to the storms in your life? I have tried it both ways so I can tell you, life is a lot better when you do.

No comments: