Thursday, September 30, 2010

Matthew 11:28-30

Lately my life seems to be a bit stressful. So...today I only worked half a day and took the afternoon for myself. It was a last minute decision so I had nothing planned. I went to Family Christian Bookstore and looked around a little and, of course, bought a couple of books. It's generally very relaxing there. The shoppers always seem relaxed and quiet. I like quiet when I'm feeling stressed. Then I went home and called a friend and talked awhile. Talking to a friend always helps with the stress level too. Then I picked up a devotional and read this verse...

Matthew 11:28-30 (The Message)



 28-30"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

I'm guessing that at some time we can all relate to that passage. It was as if it were written for me this week. When I read it I realized that this is just how I have been feeling and what these verses said to me.

Tired...yes I am! Worn out...That's an understatement. Burned out on religion..."religion" yes, GOD no!! Then what does JESUS say to us? Come to ME, walk with ME. "I" will help you. "I" will give you rest. "I", JESUS, can take all that heavy load off your shoulders. "I" can help you with your life. Watch ME. Do what "I" do. You don't have to bear up under all that "life" by yourself. "I" am here for you. If you stick with "ME" you can walk through anything and still have peace.

So, you ask...How can that work? Because JESUS will carry you through, whatever your circumstances, when you can't make it on your own. I often think about what it would have been like to actually walk around with HIM as the disciples did. Seeing and hearing HIM just simply speak, and the storm stopped! That is what HE still does for us today when we just can't take our "storms" anymore. JESUS just speaks when we have had enough and says..."Peace, be still." But...we have to be willing to ask HIM and turn it over to HIM. That's the hard part.

When circumstances get you down...life is just being life...read these verses. Think about them, pray and listen to what JESUS is saying to you through them. Imagine yourself there with HIM. Walking and talking with HIM or just simply sitting at HIS feet listening. Let JESUS come close to you through HIS word as you draw close to HIM.

No comments: