Friday, April 13, 2012

Jesus Shouted..."Come Out"

Isn't the story of Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead one of the best you have ever read? Lazarus was dead for "four days"! He was wrapped up like a mummy and I'm sure he smelled pretty bad. But Jesus didn't care. He went to the tomb and told them to roll the stone away.

John 11:39-44

39 “Roll the stone aside,” Jesus told them.
But Martha, the dead man’s sister, protested, “Lord, he has been dead for four days. The smell will be terrible.”
40 Jesus responded, “Didn’t I tell you that you would see God’s glory if you believe?” 41 So they rolled the stone aside. Then Jesus looked up to heaven and said, “Father, thank you for hearing me. 42 You always hear me, but I said it out loud for the sake of all these people standing here, so that they will believe you sent me.” 43 Then Jesus shouted, “Lazarus, come out!” 44 And the dead man came out, his hands and feet bound in graveclothes, his face wrapped in a headcloth. Jesus told them, “Unwrap him and let him go!”

Oh...what a sight that must have been! A once dead man, all wrapped up from head to toe, hopping out of the cave. I can imagine it took a minute, but once everyone got their thoughts together, they were probably unwrapping the cloth that had him bound! Then just imagine the rejoicing!

What came to me after reading this was how much we were all like Lazarus before accepting Jesus into our hearts. This is how I see that story for me...

For 52 years I was dead. Satan had me convincingly "wrapped up" in graveclothes. Bound...not dead and in the grave but many times wishing I were. I was wrapped up figuratively. Physically...spiritually...mentally. Body...soul...and mind. Then one day the stone that was covering my heart was rolled back. I believe that Jesus went to my hearts door and said..."Roll the stone away!" Then the Holy Spirit spoke to my heart and I was able to hear...really hear...that this was the time I needed to somehow find my way to Him! In effect, Jesus shouted..."Chelle, come out!" And even though I had been "dead" for all those years, bound up by all the lies I had believed...the things that I had done...the hurts I had...the anger and hatred...the graveclothes...the Lord helped me to find my way out. He started "unwrapping" me...freeing me...from all my past and letting me go! Jesus rolled away the stone!

Then the story goes on for me as it does for you.

Everyday we have to make a choice to not start wrapping ourselves back up in graveclothes. New or old...they are still graveclothes. They may be somewhat different than before...or they may be old things you haven't dealt with yet but...they still put us in bondage. We need to continuously be working on staying out of that tomb we were once in. It's not always easy because satan is always there filling us with doubts...insecurities...putting old thoughts back in our minds. Jesus wants us to be totally free from all of that stuff and He is there just waiting for us to let it go. Become a new person in Him.

For anything going on in your life...

When you fill doubt starting to creep in...read scriptures on faith. When you feel insecure...read about how much Jesus loves you. When your thoughts start turning dark...read about how JESUS is the LIGHT! Put on your devil kickin'...satan stompin...shoes and squash him into the ground!

John 10:10

The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh this is excellent word this morning....excellent!

Carole in the UK said...

Whuh! Whuh! Praise the Lord Chelle.
Truly a post from the heart, which was a Word from God to ME today.
I tweeted it to share with others, I pray that it will be a word in season for someone else.

God Bless you More! :)