Thursday, December 15, 2011

Psalm 63

Psalm 63

1 O God, you are my God;
      I earnestly search for you.
   My soul thirsts for you;
      my whole body longs for you
   in this parched and weary land
      where there is no water.
 2 I have seen you in your sanctuary
      and gazed upon your power and glory.
 3 Your unfailing love is better than life itself;
      how I praise you!
 4 I will praise you as long as I live,
      lifting up my hands to you in prayer.
 5 You satisfy me more than the richest feast.
      I will praise you with songs of joy.
 6 I lie awake thinking of you,
      meditating on you through the night.
 7 Because you are my helper,
      I sing for joy in the shadow of your wings.
 8 I cling to you;
      your strong right hand holds me securely.
9 But those plotting to destroy me will come to ruin.
      They will go down into the depths of the earth.
 10 They will die by the sword
      and become the food of jackals.
 11 But the king will rejoice in God.
      All who trust in him will praise him,
      while liars will be silenced.

My study bible says that when David wrote this Psalm it was probably during Absalom's rebellion. The events that took place then were turbulent times for David. David really needed a friend...longed for a friend...and the only one he could really trust was God. He longed for God. David was alone, weary and probably not sleeping well. So what did he do? David cried out to God, told Him how he felt. David needed God more than he needed anyone or anything. He knew that God's love was better than anything else he could have. So he lifted his hands...sang songs to the Lord...and praised Him. 

Everyday there our things in our lives that don't go the way we had planned. It might be small things that really don't matter much...middle of the road things that you know will eventually work themselves out, or...it might be things that shake us to our core. When we have trials, small or large, do we do like David or do we run the other way? When your soul is crying out for answers...peace...and you just can't seem to get a handle on things...do what David did. Lift your hands and praise and worship the Lord. Cry out to Him...sing songs to Him. Talk to Him! Grab hold of Him and don't let go until you know that He has heard your praises and your hearts cry for help! Only The Lord can fill your soul with peace and your body with the rest you need.

Reach out to Him and let Him hold you and give you the peace and rest you are longing for...thirsting for. When you do this it gives your mind a break as well as your body. God knows what you need so let Him give it to you.





8 comments:

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Chelle,
You are absolutely right when you say God will give us peace and rest for both mind and body when we learn to cling to Him and meditate on His glory!
~God Bless~

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this really good post with me today!

God bless!

pinks said...

Beautiful. I can only hope that will be my immediate response... Thank you for sharing, sweet friend.

<3 Kendra

Anonymous said...

Hi Chelle - Psalm 63 is beautiful and even more so when you consider David wrote it when going through a really tough time. Great lesson in that its in the hard times that turning to God and praising Him is the thing to do!
God bless
Tracy

Wanda said...

Oh so true Chelle. I had an experience like that this week were praise of Him transported me pass my weariness.

Ken said...

Hi Chelle,
So very true!
I went through my trying times and cried out to God, He was always there. He lead me through giving me comfort and strength.
God bless and Merry Christmas,
Ken

Desiray said...

Hello Sis I love your blog and also thanks for sending me a note. Hope you are having a blessed day

Just Be Real said...

Chelle, thank you for sharing. Blessings.