Thursday, January 7, 2010

Spiders and the Devil

Spiders and the Devil

You may wonder what spiders and the devil have in common. One thing I can think of is webs. Spiders build them for protection and to catch their food. They can weave a pretty big web in a short period of time. I used to manage a small grocery store and I would sometimes throw freight with my crew at night. I remember one night after closing the store I cleaned the checkstand and then went to do freight. About six hours later I went back to the checkstand and as I started to step inside I discovered a huge spider web that covered the whole entrance into it. It was a couple of feet wide and probably about the same height. Liking spiders as much as I do I jumped back and looked for the one that built it. To my surprise it was one that we always called a "daddy long legs". He was sitting right there in the middle of it enjoying his new home. His new place didn't last long though. I got the broom and swept him and his home out.

In a sense the devil builds webs too but he builds them to catch people. He tries to trap us in his webs of lies and deceit. If we listen to him we will find that before we know what is happening we are all caught up in his sticky web. We have to be careful to not listen to the lies he tells us. He will do anything he can to ensnare us and keep us from living a successful life for GOD. Sometimes he uses things like old habits to try to get us back. Other times he will use sickness or even depression. The devil knows what it is that will get you all caught up once again in the traps he sets for you. He plays mind games with you. When this starts happening there is only one way you can break lose from the web he is weaving around you.

GOD is your way out of the devils web. Talk to HIM all the time. Read HIS word. Have other Christians pray for you. Sweep the devil out of your mind and your life. Don't let him find a home and get comfortable there.

When you get overwhelmed cry out to GOD for help. HE is waiting to help you. Sometimes it's hard but if you trust in the LORD you can make it.

Psalm 55
1 Listen to my prayer, O God.
Do not ignore my cry for help!
2 Please listen and answer me,
for I am overwhelmed by my troubles.

Proverbs 3:5

5-12 Trust God from the bottom of your heart;
don't try to figure out everything on your own.
Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go;
he's the one who will keep you on track.
Don't assume that you know it all.
Run to God! Run from evil!
Your body will glow with health,
your very bones will vibrate with life!
Honor God with everything you own;
give him the first and the best.
Your barns will burst,
your wine vats will brim over.
But don't, dear friend, resent God's discipline;
don't sulk under his loving correction.
It's the child he loves that God corrects;
a father's delight is behind all this.

No comments: