Friday, October 30, 2009

LISTENING TO THE WRONG VOICE

Today, October 30th, has been a day of reflection for me. For about a week now I've been having a hard time "connecting" with God. I know it's not His fault, it has been mine. It's just been one of those times when I try to read the Bible and it seems like...it's just words on a page. Talking to God...feels like I'm surrounded by stone. I remember that feeling all to well from before I became a Christian and I don't like it. But, like I said, it's my own fault. I asked someone once...What happens if you don't do what God tells you? She just said...Remember Jonah? So...

this whole downhill slide started for me because I became afraid to do what God told me to do. He told me to give a friend a book. At first I thought it was a great idea. The next day when it came time to do this, fear over took me. Everyday I took the book to work and everyday I brought it home. With each day it became harder and harder to talk to God and I finally wasn't even picking up my Bible.

When you know that God told you to do something, and you don't do it, you are asking for all kinds of complications in your life. Don't listen to the wrong voice. The devil was the one making me fearful. He was telling me things like...she will probably just laugh at you...she will think you're a crazy religious person...she will talk about you with others...all negative things. The devil didn't want her to have the book. He knows if she reads it everyday, she will be hearing Jesus' words spoken to her. The devil doesn't want her to listen to Jesus' voice. I don't know if there's a specific reason the Lord wanted her to have it, or if it's just because she needs to find Him. Whatever the reason is, it doesn't matter. My job was just to give it to her. It's the Holy Spirit's job to speak to her through it. The Lord will take care of how she receives it.

Yesterday, I finally told her that I had something for her. I mentioned that I didn't want to offend her and if she didn't want it to just give it back...I was still not totally convinced that the Lord would take care of her reaction. Before she even knew what it was she said she would not be offended by what ever I had for her. So, I gave it to her and said it was something she could read everyday. She said...Kind of like a little insight for the day and I said yes. She may be a little surprised at what kind of insight she gets from it everyday. Since I'm sure God was in this the insight should be amazing!

I'm glad I finally did what God told me for a few reasons. One being that I do remember the story of Jonah. But the reason that means more to me is...my friend needs to read the book. She needs to find God. Another reason is...talking to God and reading my Bible are very important to me. When I can't do that it feels like I'm lost...out in the middle of a desert with no one or anything around me...totally alone. When I started thinking about all of this today He immediately started telling me to write this down and share it. For about thirty minutes He was giving me thoughts, almost faster than I could write them, of other things to share. When you are obeying God, and doing what He tells you, life is good. Even when things go wrong, life is still good because the Lord is with you through it all, and you know it. In case you are wondering...

Her reaction to the book was all good. She thanked me and gave me a hug. And now...the rest is up to God.

Deuteronomy 31:6 (New Living Translation)

6 So be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid and do not panic before them. For the Lord your God will personally go ahead of you. He will neither fail you nor abandon you.”


Isaiah 41:13 (New Living Translation)


13 For I hold you by your right hand—
I, the Lord your God.
And I say to you,
‘Don’t be afraid. I am here to help you.

1 comment:

The Bible Post said...

Very encouraging! Keep sharing!

Blessings to you...