Tuesday, March 10, 2009

WHO'S YOUR OWNER?

Recently I read an article about a guitar. It was old and showed the signs of aging. There were dents, scratches, cracks and it was even starting to get discolored. But there was one thing they said about that guitar that really struck me. The quote was, "As a guitar ages and is played, they achieve a richer tone. It's an ongoing process that the guitar and the owner go through together." He said they hadn't been together since the beginning, but since they met up they have aged and improved together. To me it means that the owner built a relationship with the guitar. Since the guitar is not a living thing it was up to the owner to spend time with and learn to play the guitar.

So it is as we go through life. Like the old guitar I had numerous dents, scratches and cracks. Most people couldn't see them because I had become very good at covering them up. My life was discolored by all the sin. Unlike the guitar, my life was not becoming richer. The owner that was playing me was satan and the longer I let him continue to play me the more dull and lifeless my tone became. The dents, scratches and cracks were becoming larger and harder to hide. One thing I learned was...if you continue letting the wrong owner play you, the music of your life will soon die. You will just play out.

But...unlike the guitar I am a living thing and I have free will. The first thing I had to do was choose who my owner would be. Then how much time I would spend with Him and what I would let Him teach me. In essence...how much of a relationship you build with your owner is up to you! It's always your choice. I chose God. I still have dents, scratches, cracks and discoloration. But...they aren't as bad as they were before. If you let God have control of your life, overtime, they will get better. I still mess up, let satan back in a little sometimes. What I have to learn is...when he knocks...do not to open the door. For me, a lot of the time, it's the door of my mind. I let him bring back all the old fears of my past. When I start believing the things he tells me it starts to break open some of those cracks that God has started closing up.

Like me, I'm sure there are people reading this that do the same thing. What we have to remember is...the goal is to get to the end with God. The way there...is an on going process. We have to let our owner, GOD, be the one that we build a relationship with. We haven't all been with Him since the beginning. But, it doesn't matter how long it's been as long as you keep going the right direction. As long as you let God be the one you age with. Spend time with Him. Read His word and talk to Him. Work on your relationship with Him. It's not always easy. Sometimes...I don't want to. Sometimes...when I let satan in too far, I give up. I can tell you from experience that is the wrong thing to do. Stick with God. You will find that the aging process you go through with God is a lot less painful than the one you go through with satan.

I guess one of the things it comes down to for me is...To submit to God, and draw near to Him. To submit you have to get rid of your pride and place your faith in God. I think if you do that it is easier to build a relationship with Him. Then you and God together can work on healing all those dents and cracks. Take it from me...it's not easy. But...if you do, when it's all over, you will have achieved the ultimate. Eternity with God!

Verses to read

1 Peter 5:6-7 (New Living Translation)

6 So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time he will lift you up in honor. 7 Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.


James 4:7-8 (New Living Translation)

7 So humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Come close to God, and God will come close to you. Wash your hands, you sinners; purify your hearts, for your loyalty is divided between God and the world.








No comments: