Sunday, March 15, 2009

DISCONNECTED EMOTIONS

I didn't want to write about this topic but for some reason I know I need to. When I heard this story I immediately knew this was the time. So here it is...

While listening to the radio I heard that scientists are wiping fear memories from mice. I thought this was a bit odd so I looked it up. Sure enough, researchers in Canada, neuroscientists, have learned how to disconnect the "emotional memory" of mice. They are thinking that eventually it may be possible to do this in humans. Of course, they say, they would use it only for "debilitating fears". With humans they think they could use drugs. They want to use it on people that are so fearful that they have difficulty just leaving their homes. Whether that ever happens or not...who knows. What really caught my attention was the fact that they are disconnecting emotional memory.

Passion is another word for emotion. Emotion is what gives us the power to do things that we might not ordinarily do. It also gives us the power to achieve things. Artists, writers and people that play sports are said to have a "passion" for what they do. All people have a passion for something. Even if they aren't very good at whatever it is, it still drives them to succeed in that field. Without that passion, or emotion, we wouldn't care if we did those things or not.

GOD gave us emotions for a reason. If passion and emotion are what drives you, then the lack of them have the opposite effect. Without emotion you can't live a normal life. Sometimes as you go through life you just turn off your emotions because it's easier to live that way. You don't have to feel all the pain and hurt that can sometimes encompass you. Sometimes it's just plain fear that made you decide not to have emotions any longer. And like I said before...without emotion you don't have passion for anything. When a person doesn't have emotion they really are just existing from day to day. You just have to get in a mind set, everyday, that you are going to survive no matter what. You live day to day on sheer will. There are probably people around all of us that are surviving like that. Just getting up, going through their day, hoping to make it. You already feel as if your emotional memory has been disconnected.When you are like that you feel as if there is no hope for you. You can't imagine things ever getting any better. Many times I believe that is what makes us do crazy things to ourselves. Because we are trying to feel something, we drink or get wasted. It's called a self destruct mode.

I was like that for a lot of my life. And then something happened that changed me. There's two words that I here preachers say all the time and I love the phrase...BUT GOD!!!!

If this could be you I'm describing, GOD can change it all around for you. Or, maybe you have friends or family that are like this. You need to tell them two words....BUT GOD....He can do anything. Believe me, I never used to think it was true. That HE would do it for me. But...HE did. Was it instantaneous? NO. Far from it. I know that HE can do things instantly when HE wants to. But, I believe in my case that HE hasn't because I probably wouldn't have been able to handle it. Imagine if most of your life you couldn't even tell your family that you loved them. And...when they said it to you, you thought you might get sick. Or, that hugging them was completely out of the question. Well...that was me. When people other than family wanted to hug me, sometimes I would let them and with some people I just said "NO". It's not a good way to live. But GOD can change all that. Like I have said in past blogs...Ask HIM into your life and let HIM start healing you. Pray and read the Bible a lot. Get whatever help you need.

Has GOD completely healed my emotions? Not yet. But HE is working on me. HE will do whatever it takes to make me whole. Once I became a believer HE started changing me. It seems to be a slow process but that's okay. At times I find myself slipping back to my old way of thinking. If this happens don't worry, take it for what it is and start again. I've learned that you have to help yourself with these things too. It's kind of like an interactive process. Instead of going the other way when "Hugs" are being passed out you just hug back. You may find that you actually enjoy getting a hug. And...even though I feel love for friends and family it is often still a hard thing for me to say, or even to write. So, since healing is an interactive process, sometimes I tell them, I love you. I'm finding that the more I say it, the easier it is. So...whenever I get the chance, I do.

You don't want to be like the "lab mice" and not feel. You just want to ask GOD to heal your emotions and let them function normally. HE will help you with all of this, you just have to ask HIM too. Don't live another day without asking for HIS help. Because you're really not living. Once the healing starts you won't believe the difference it makes in your life. It's a hard thing to change but I'm finding that it is worth it. Just remember...GOD will be with you.

Romans 12: 2
2 Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Isaiah 43:2
When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you.

Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Ephesians 4:22-24
23 Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. 24 Put on your new nature, created to be like God—truly righteous and holy.

Colossians 3:2
2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.

No comments: