Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Distractions


Where do distractions lead? To not being focused. Not being focused causes one to take steps in the wrong direction. That would be a step...or maybe a few steps...backward. Usually you can get back on track before too long. Then again...maybe not. Or maybe...it will be too late.

What happens when you lose your focus? Could be it's a little like stepping out into nothingness...

into the unknown, if you will. Maybe it's a bit like free falling. Your up in the plane and it's your turn to jump. So, over to the door you go. You look out...close your eyes...and take that step into the unknown. Next thing you know you're falling...falling...faster and faster! You open your eyes and things below are getting bigger. You thought it would take longer...that you would just stay in a floating stage for awhile. Kind of suspended, not going either up or down. That's not the case. You really are falling faster than you think. And, just like what happens when you step out of a plane without opening your chute, losing your focus could send you on a free fall and put you in a tailspin...

you to start falling faster than you thought you would. Closing your eyes to it works for a while but you have to open them sometime. When you do, you find you are spinning out of control. A lot of your old problems seem to be flying around in front of you. You can't seem to be able to get your head up and your feet facing towards the ground. Your head, and your heart, is reeling as you are grasping for anything to slow you down. You know that somewhere within reach there is help but...you can't quite get there! What are you going to do...? You better figure it out before you actually hit the ground!

“When you come to the edge of all the light you know and are about to step off into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing one of two things will happen: There will be something solid to stand on or you will be taught how to fly.”  Patrick Overton

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Chelle, have you been reading my mind? If I'm distracted its usually "oh, woe is me - life is so unfair to poor me, blah blah..." The best medicine - God's word - focus
Great post Chelle
God bless
Tracy

Kristin Bridgman said...

I feel like this a lot. . .I thought it was just middle age foggy brain stuff:)
So glad for the faith to know that solid ground will be there or He will take me up on wings of eagles to soar!
Great writing!

ps come visit me today and rejoice with me :)

Desiray said...

Distractions come from the enemy he uses anything and anybody to distract us from what we should be doing...we at times distract ourselves by having certain thoughts in our minds..anytime we become distracted we don't see the big picture that God is showing us...

Zia Wolf-Sun said...

Hi :) Blogger hates me and finds numerous ways to ensure I can't leave a comment on people's posts...been reading but until now no commenting allowed it would seem! Anyway...in re to your post...I think I was taught to fly. I nearly hit the ground screaming but He hauled me up by the scruff of my neck...lol...and now I'm flying steady...till next time lol ;)

Never Forsaken said...

God must have given you this message just for me since I have been very unfocused as of late. I know that God is our covering and it is we who step out from under His protection, He will never move away from offering us a safe hand-hold during our "tailspin". By the way, you did such a good job with your description of a free fall, that I got a little dizzy reading it:)

Laser Point Ministries said...

So often my life stays out of focus... not gets out, but stays out of focus. It's easy to lose my way when I allow myself to get focused on things other than God. Whether it's TV, music, or even Christian books, I can get off purpose. Yes, even Christian books. I love to read. But reading sometimes takes my life out of focus and puts the focus of my life on me and my interests instead of on God.