Sunday, May 3, 2009

NOT HATTIE ANYMORE

Back in January, I was reminded of a series of books I had read before giving my life to Christ. Even though I was not a Christian I really enjoyed the "Left Behind Series", written by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins. All of my life I had heard everything that was written in those books. Throughout my life I had heard many sermons preached on the topic of Jesus Christ coming back for all who had asked Him into their hearts and what was going to happen to those that hadn't...they would be Left Behind. That was the biggest fear I had...Being Left Behind! Because of that fear I did all of those things that I have written about, and many more that I haven't written down. For me, reading those books was just confirming everything I knew. I hardly ever read the Bible because it meant nothing to me. I couldn't understand it. But...the books told me what the Bible said in story form. A story I could relate too. There was one character in particular that I was alot like. Her name was Hattie. She eventually became the girlfriend of Carpathia. If you read the books you know who these characters are and who Carpathia really was. I believe that, even then, the Lord was preparing my heart for accepting Him. It didn't happen for a couple more years but those books really made me think about Him and what the future held for me. So back in January God reminded me of that...

Every now and then things will happen that bring things of my past back to my mind. I know that God forgives us when we ask Him and doesn't hold our past against us. I also know, that for us as humans, we sometimes have a problem with not holding our past against ourselves. Things will happen in our day to day lives that make us want to revert back to our old ways. Sometimes, people will say things to us that remind us of our pasts and we might get down on ourselves. Then sometimes, we are tempted and we give in to that temptation. We all mess up and believe that the things we have done are just too bad for God to be able to forgive us for. I had a lot of those times. Times when I just could not believe that God would just write off my sins. But His Word says...

Psalms 103:12 He has removed our sins as far from us as the east is from the west. NLT

Hebrews 8:12 And I will forgive their wickedness, and I will never again remember their sins. NLT

Micah 7:19 Once again you will have compassion on us. You will trample our sins under Your feet and throw them into the depths of the ocean! NLT

So...one of those times when I was "reflecting" on my past God reminded me of something. He said to me, "You used to be like Hattie but...You are not like Hattie anymore!" Then He let me know that at some time I would post this on my blog. When I really knew, beyond any doubt, that I was not like that anymore. Something would happen and I would know. Well...today that something happened. It was a remark that a friend made to me at church. At first I didn't even realize what he was talking about. He was just kidding with me. I had a paper bag with some jelly, in glass jars, in it. He said to me, "I thought you gave that up." He was refering to drinking. I didn't even connect what he said to drinking at first. Then it hit me, and it was funny. A few minutes later, as I was driving home, I realized that when drinking, or alcohol, didn't even enter my thoughts, I had truly changed. That's when God reminded me, again, that I'm not like Hattie anymore and that it was time to post this blog.

Maybe you have had trouble getting over your past. The word "remember" in Hebrews 8:12 is a promise. If we trust in Christ, God no longer holds our sins against us. He will not punish us for what we have done. We are truly forgiven. From the NLT study bible. There is nothing that you have done that can keep you from the Love of God. All you have to do is to ask Him into your heart. Ask Him to forgive you and accept His forgiveness. Talk to Him and read His Word. Live for Him and He will help you in all that you do. He loves you more than you can even imagine.

No comments: