Monday, July 11, 2011

Sandpaper 101

Do you know anything about the way sandpaper is graded? Well...there is commercial and industrial. The lower the number, the coarser the grit. The higher the number, the finer the grit. 40-60 is coarse and used for heavy sanding and stripping...roughing up the surface. 360-600 is superfine...to remove some luster or surface blemishes and scratches. I could go on with whats in between but this is probably enough of...Sandpaper 101.

So...it's Monday. The first day of the week can sometimes be a little much. Up early with little sleep...it's hot and it's not even 5a.m. Then work starts. Phone calls from stores...from customers...solve their problems. Catch up on work left over...start new weeks work...new problems. Everything worked out okay. But...in between all this was the rub...sandpaper rub. 

Started out as medium grit, around 120. Before I went long into my day it was about a 100. Then before lunch I'm pretty sure it hit about 50...stress was kickin' in. Why?? Too many thoughts...untamed thoughts kept going through my mind. I kept listening to music...Christian music...but today to no avail. Lunchtime..yes! Decided to do myself a favor and read my Bible. It helped to a degree. Got me back down to about a 120...smoothing out my surface. Inside though...still about an 80. What to do? Thoughts are still coming...stronger now...play different music...worship music...getting better.

Your mind...thoughts...that's the devils playground. At least for me. If he can get into my thoughts he can ruin my day. It is amazing how they grow. It starts with maybe just a word from someone. That word plants a seed and your mind is off and racing. Racing to the places you know you can't go. Yet...you somehow can't stop it either. You go there...I go there! Then I am totally all consumed with this particular thing. I don't get it sometimes why...out of nowhere...these thoughts come racing in. Wholly consuming my world. It seems the more I think about what I believe God wants me to do...the more my thoughts are on the thing I most hate. 

So my thought now is...prayer. More and more of it. Prayer...talking to God. It is essential to life...my life. It is essential to stay the course...win the battle.


Ephesians 6:11-13

The Message (MSG)
A Fight to the Finish
 10-12And that about wraps it up. God is strong, and he wants you strong. So take everything the Master has set out for you, well-made weapons of the best materials. And put them to use so you will be able to stand up to everything the Devil throws your way. This is no afternoon athletic contest that we'll walk away from and forget about in a couple of hours. This is for keeps, a life-or-death fight to the finish against the Devil and all his angels.
13-18Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life. God's Word is an indispensable weapon. In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each others spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out.

6 comments:

Ken said...

Great analogy Chelle with the sand paper. Oh yes we need to be prayed up and put on the full Armour of God that we are able to stand everything the devil throws our way. Yes His Word is an indispensable weapon.
Great post and God bless,
Ken

Anonymous said...

Hi Chelle - great analogy. I know exactly what you mean. My mind is also a huge playing field - its to catch those thoughts before they get out of hand and replace them with God's word and prayer. Excellent post.
God bless
Tracy

Pam Williams said...

Wow, Chelle! Great post! Such honesty and truth found here. The apostle Paul must have struggled just like we do for he wrote in Romans 7:15 and 19 "What I don't understand about myself is that I decide one way, but then I act another, doing things I absolutely despise. . . I decide to do good, but I don't really do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway."
A few verses later (22-25)Paul shares the answer to this conundrum, "I truly delight in God's commands, but it's pretty obvious that not all of me joins in that delight. Parts of me covertly rebel, and just when I least expect it, they take charge. I've tried everything and nothing helps. I'm at the end of my rope. Is there no one who can do anything for me? Isn't that the real question? The answer, thank God, is that Jesus Christ can and does. He acted to set things right in this life of contradictions where I want to serve God with all my heart and mind, but am pulled by the influence of sin to do something totally different."
I am so thankful salvation doesn't depend on me!
Blessings!
Pam at www.2encourage.blogspot.com

Never Forsaken said...

I love your analogy of the sandpaper Chelle,
I know how you feel. This morning stress was rubbing on me til I felt I couldn't even pray.
I am praying you had a better day today!
Peace & power is In JESUS

Unknown said...

Prayer is the key, isn't it? It's what keeps us connected to God. And I believe satan really wants to keep us from praying. We just have to keep our eyes on Jesus and keep pouring our hearts out to Him in prayer.

Reformed rebel said...

Thanks to all of you for the comments. One of the things that lift me up when I get home form work is reading your blog posts and your comments. God works through everything we put out there in Hus name.